Grants For Students With A Permanent Disability

Federal and provincial grants are available for students with documented permanent disabilities. Here is a list of the available grants and bursaries.

Grants for educational costs

  • Canada Student Grant for Persons with Permanent Disabilities
  • B.C. Access Grant for Students with Permanent Disabilities
  • B.C. Supplemental Bursary for Students with Disabilities
  • Grants for equipment and services (*Contact an Academy Director for assistance.)
  • Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Persons with Permanent Disabilities
  • Assistance program for Students with Permanent Disabilities
  • Learning Disability Assessment Bursary

Applications for these grants and bursaries are available through StudentAidBC.

If you are a student with a permanent disability, you may be eligible for the full-time Canada Student Loan and BC Student Loan if your course load represents at least 40 percent of a full-time course load.

Please contact the Academy for further information. The first time you apply for these grants you need to establish your eligibility by completing the Permanent Disability Programs Application form.

Once you are approved for permanent disability status by StudentAidBC, you will not need to document your disability again for StudentAidBC.


Grants For Students With Dependants

If you are a student with dependants and will be studying at Interior Academy you may be eligible for special grants:

Canada Student Grant for Full-Time Students with Dependants

This grant may be available if you:

  • Qualify for a federal student loan
  • Meet the specific eligibility requirements
  • Have a child under 12 years old at the beginning of the school year
  • Have a child 12 years of age or older with a permanent disability (a permanent physical or mental impairment resulting in the child requiring daily care)

For more information on this program, visit the Canlearn website.


Grants For Former Youth In Care

Youth Educational Assistance Fund (YEAF) for former youth in care.

The Youth Educational Assistance Fund is for former B.C. youth in care who are between 19 and 23 years old and were in care who are taking full-time post-secondary level courses at a designated post-secondary institution or who are students with a permanent disability studying at a reduced course load.

Grants of up to $5,500 are available to eligible applicants. For more information and to apply, visit StudentAidBC’s YEAF page.
Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund

The Public Guardian and Trustee Educational Assistance Fund was established in 1988 and offers bursaries of up to $3,300 each year to help former permanent wards of the province 19 or older reach their educational goals.

Application deadline for each year is April 15. For information and to apply, please contact:

Public Guardian and Trustee of British Columbia Educational Assistance Fund

#700-808 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, British Columbia
V6C 3L3